Seattle Real Estate  |  Phone: 206-347-3558  |  Toll Free: 888-766-8884  |  Contact Us

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Uwajimaya, Seattle's Best Asian Grocery Store!


Uwajimaya, the largest Asian grocery and gift store in the Pacific Northwest is 81 years old and still going strong. Founded by Fujimatsu and Sadako Moriguchi in Tacoma back in 1928. the family perservered and re-established after WWII's internment of Japanese-Americans. After being released from Tule Lake Internment Camp, the family sold fish cakes from the back of a truck to local Japanese farmers and laborers. Now, it is still run by the Moriguchi family's four sons, three daughters , many grandchildren, and over 400 employees, but since 2000 from it's new 66,000 square foot flagship store, it envelopes three whole city block on 5th Ave South in the International District. The store boasts one of the largest fresh fish tanks in the Northwest with an impeccably fresh selection of seafood, produce and meats. Almost any imaginable Asian food item and everything in between can be found here. Variety ranging from rice cakes to ramen, bakery to tofu, seaweed, sakes, wines, dishes, and even appliances.

As an owner of a Japanese restaurant, Uwajimaya, named after the Japanese fishing village of the founders, remains an indispensible resource for all of us. Twenty years ago, I would shop there daily, before many fish purveyors delivered to restaurants, and purchase just enough fresh fish for my daily business needs. In doing so, I created a bond with many family and staff members that are still there. It is like coming home for me everytime that I walk into the doors. On one memorable evening, when the founder's son Tomio Moriguchi came to my restaurant Toyoda Sushi for dinner, I went to greet him and he said with a grin, ..."They tell me that you are our best customer...". I am always greeted warmly by Tomio and his sister Tomoko Moriguchi Matsuno and my dear friends in the Seafood Department. Tomio handed over the CEO seat to sister Tomoko in 2007 after more than 40 years at the helm.
For forty years that I can remember, it has always had a special place in my heart for my family and I. It is a tradition that gives comfort and so much more to Seattlelites from not only Japan, but all over Asia as well as locally. Uwajimaya is a great hub of Asian food and cultures, and the corporation has given back so much to the community in the form of donations and support of the arts such as the Wing Luke Museum. I bow with respect and honor to my favorite local grocery store in Seattle!
Helen Toyoda
Realtor
206.383.8182

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home